A little over a year ago I was in Haiti. I’d packed away my hard-core little first-aid kit, a few containers of hand sanitizer, a bottle of chloroquine and a bottle of ciprofloaxacin, signed up for some good medical travel insurance and made my way, via Miami, to Port-au-Prince. I was there for about two weeks [...]
Archive | Haiti RSS feed for this section
Beautiful Madame Sylvie felt her lungs tighten and her throat burn. Her grey and wrinkled mother looked at her and asked if she was Ok. “No,” she answered. Then her eyes bulged and she gasped for breath. There was none to be had. She collapsed into her breakfast of fried egg and boiled plantain. A [...]
The full library is available here Part II is here – You already know we’re book hounds here at Around the World in Eighty Years. Heck, the name itself is an ode to the literature of travel. I never go anywhere without a stack of books. Wherever I go, I’m obsessed with knowing as [...]
By eight o’clock in the morning we were bunched up with the boxes, sacks, mules, chickens, children farmers and merchants at the edge of the Artibonite River. Everyone talked at once and the crowd on the opposite shore whooped and hollered encouragement. The boys running the service bailed the silty orange water with plastic cups. [...]
## Haiti Photographs
Friday! This was the week when all the travelling from earlier this year finally wore off and I’m back in need of movement! Even Chopin didn’t help! Rio had a really strong pull on me this week. The Christ statue turned 80 and wanted me at its birthday. Sadly, I’ll bet Rio’s urban air is [...]
The top image is from Ouanga Bay, Haiti showing fishermen heading out at dusk. I circled the camera lense with a napkin. The lower image is from a fish store in Bodo, Norway and is of a very large, dried fish-head in a glass counter.
Haiti Photos: Crossing the Artibonite at Deslandes
Le Geste is one of the farmers we are working with in Deslandes, Haiti. He is growing corn, beans, squash and sweet potatos on the CIJ demonstration farm. I have trouble with names. Sometimes I forget my own. I’m going through my notes and photos to match people with names. I hope I got the [...]
Othere photos from last week in Haiti are available here, here and here. ##
I’ll dribble out the photos from Haiti over the next two weeks as I work my way through them. Here is the first. These are two of the farmers we are working with in the remote community of Deslandes in the Artibonite Valley. They had been working all day in the sun with nothing to [...]
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Twenty-One Beautiful Birds of Panama – Birdgasm! March 12, 2013
- Cemetery Junction – Eight Groovy Graveyard Pictures February 8, 2013
- Spring Rainstorm Pictures – My Shot of the Day – April 1, 2013 April 1, 2013
- Seeking Some Sassy Ceviche at the Fish Market in Panama City February 26, 2013
- Balloon Rides and Taos Mesa from Above May 17, 2013
- Evening Rain on the Colombine Hondo Wilderness Study Area – My Shot of the Day – May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013
- Spring in Taos New Mexico – My Shot(S) of the Day – May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013
- Ute Mountain, County of Taos – My Shot of the Day – May 9, 2013 May 9, 2013
- Charli l Wanderlusters: Great depth captured by the lighting on the retrea...
- Jenny: If you're talking about the 2nd picture down, tha...
- Terri O\'Hare: These are truly wonderful. New Mexico sorely lacks...
- Jim O\'Donnell: Excellent! That is my goal! Were you able to che...
Around the World in Eighty Years on Twitter
Follow @jimodonnell2 on Twitter
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2013 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.