I’ll get it out of the way up front. The Boquete Garden Inn is probably THE BEST little inn I’ve stayed at, ever. Understand, of course, that I am a fanatic for birds, gardens and flowers. So walking through the gate from the already near-paradise that is the town of Boquete into some place that [...]
Archive | Places RSS feed for this section
Editor’s Note: Brutal rule by an oligarchy is never as far off as we might think. It is something that has happened far too often throughout history and it is a danger the supposedly democratized “Western world” is dangerously close to falling back into at the moment. Too few people hold too much power and [...]
I was rather heartbroken when I left my kids at the train station on a drizzly morning in Vasa, Finland at the end of March. They were flying home to New Mexico. I was flying south to Toulouse, France. 2011 had seen me in twice in Finland (once with the kids), in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, [...]
I visited the Söderfjärden on a warm, rainy August morning. The ten kilometers of road south from Vasa were perfectly clear except for two fearless foxes moving from one stand of Red Pine to the other. I had spent the previous several days in Finland’s Kvarken Archipelago and had heard about the 520-560 million year old meteorite impact crater to the [...]
If Tokyo impresses visitors with its futuristic look, Kyoto is actually the historical and cultural centre of Japan. Surrounded on three sides by wooded hills and mountains, bisected by the Kamo River, the city occupies an exceptional site. With its unique geography comes a unique history! The ancient capital of Japan – from 794 until [...]
The Valle Vidal is a lush mountain basin located in the heart of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, in northern New Mexico. Donated to the American People in 1982, the Valle Vidal is managed by the Carson National Forest primarily for it’s wildlife, as well as it’s outstanding scenic and recreational opportunities. The Valle Vidal [...]
Go on, admit it. Its fun to be scared sometimes. Some of my best travel experiences arise from brief moments of fear – or that trippy feeling swirling around your belly when you stumble across someplace that just isnt quite right. Sadly, all my photographs and the negatives of the Sedlec Ossuary in January 1995 [...]
Slide Show: Headstones of soldiers buried in Kit Carson Park, Taos, New Mexico.
I ran into this old boy Friday night in Taos, New Mexico. He had been riding for weeks, he said, looking for work. He started Friday morning in Angel Fire, NM. He had no map and just the name of a guy about 10 miles up the road. I gave him my maps and some [...]
Beach Camping in Norway ##
Katlanovo sat in the snow deep in the mountains. The buildings of the summer camp dormitories were pale blue and spread into a stand of cyprus and pine. The air was hazy and orange and completely still. In front of the gate, a Macedonian police officer sat in a cramped hut playing cards with a group [...]
One week ago, a slightly macho man and his two slightly pre-teen daughters requested the scariest two rooms in the hotel. Rooms 17 and 18 are right next to one another. A tiled, modernistic bathroom links the rooms. The bathroom was also where the cowboy was found hanged. Had he done it himself or had he [...]
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Kvarken Project: VOTE for the Photograph You Want & See the Faces of the People I Met September 4, 2014
- Twenty-One Beautiful Birds of Costa Rica – More Birdgasm! July 24, 2014
- Helsinki at Night – My Shot(s) of the Day – August 5, 2014 August 5, 2014
- Fried Muikku!! – My Shot(s) of the Day – August 11, 2014 August 11, 2014
- Roma Man in the Slovakian Countryside – My Shot of the Day, October 12, 2014 October 12, 2014
- Up Slovakia’s Wild Koprovsky Dolina October 8, 2014
- Register and Win! International Expeditions Announces Travel to Cuba September 29, 2014
- My European Wilderness Trip September 28, 2014
- Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler: Hope you enjoyed it! Such a shame we could not mee...
- Roma Man in the Slovakian Countryside - My Shot of the Day, October 12, 2014: […] clouds rolled back over the mountains an...
- Jim O\'Donnell: Thank you Julia. Still much more to come....
- Jim O\'Donnell: Thank you so much Cynthia!...
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2014 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.