Probably the best headline of the week: French Polynesia denies cannibals ate German tourist. Good thing that. I guess. I do wonder, however if eating a German can give you some of the weird side effects our normal diets do or if you’d have to eat an Australian for that. Maybe the German should have [...]
Archive | South America RSS feed for this section
Friday! This was the week when all the travelling from earlier this year finally wore off and I’m back in need of movement! Even Chopin didn’t help! Rio had a really strong pull on me this week. The Christ statue turned 80 and wanted me at its birthday. Sadly, I’ll bet Rio’s urban air is [...]
Let’s see if I can make this short and sweet. I don’t like this book. If you’d like to read Ann Patchett’s “State of Wonder” in it’s origional, high- quality version, pick up “Heart of Darkness” by Joseph Conrad. If you’d like to see the movie version, it’s called “Apocalypse Now”. “State of Wonder” is [...]
When we came off the road and over the hill, we could see the huaqueros scatter. They dropped their shovels and most of them scrambled into a single, creaky Ford pickup that spun off into the dunes and toward the greened riverbed that stretched to the Pacific. The others ran towards the ocean. The dunes [...]
Just about two months into my 1500-mile walk across Finland (research for my book “Notes for the Aurora Society” )I came to a crossroads. No, not a literal fork in the road but rather a forced choice-point in life where the cognitive dissonance in my soul demanded a solution. I had come to a research [...]
To be honest, I’m not even sure if I’ve ever actually seen the Nazca lines. Yes, I have about one-hundred photographs of them in my computer, taken with my own camera. I have the copy of my ticket for the plane. I have a picture of the plane – and the pilot. I have a [...]
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Twenty-One Beautiful Birds of Panama – Birdgasm! March 12, 2013
- Spring Rainstorm Pictures – My Shot of the Day – April 1, 2013 April 1, 2013
- Seeking Some Sassy Ceviche at the Fish Market in Panama City February 26, 2013
- Arabian Sea Sunset April 23, 2013
- Balloon Rides and Taos Mesa from Above May 17, 2013
- Evening Rain on the Colombine Hondo Wilderness Study Area – My Shot of the Day – May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013
- Spring in Taos New Mexico – My Shot(S) of the Day – May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013
- Ute Mountain, County of Taos – My Shot of the Day – May 9, 2013 May 9, 2013
- Jim O\'Donnell: Cold spot!...
- Jim O\'Donnell: We need more of the wet stuff!...
- Anne Taylor: Love the pics, especially the toy trucks bigger th...
- Steve Collins: Beautiful! This looks like a painting....
Around the World in Eighty Years on Twitter
Follow @jimodonnell2 on Twitter
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2013 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.