Should foreigners pay more? That was the question back at the beginning of summer when a heated discussion ensued among travel bloggers on Facebook. At the center of the debate was the tendency of some world governments to charge foreign visitors more than locals to enter a national monument, archaeological site or wildlife park. The [...]
Archive | Travelers RSS feed for this section
There is a memory of the Bounty’s William Bligh in the form of a tree in the Jamaican mountains outside of Kingston. It should be obvious by now that I have a thing for historic travelers. I’m not sure how old I was but after reading the 1932 novel “Mutiny on the Bounty” by Nordhoff and Hall [...]
On a chilly afternoon in early April 1799, a group of large horse drawn sledges appeared on the ice off the coast of Oulu in Finland. They had come all the way from Sweden and the horses were tired. Clouds of steam rose from the animal’s flanks. They blew and stomped on ice so clear [...]
Even after Maani died she travelled with Pietro for five years until he could get her back to Italy. Quickly, the group of women attending the body removed her viscera and filled her innards with camphor oil. Next they delivered her heart, likewise camphorized, to Pietro on a saucer. He was less than impressed and [...]
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- A Taste of Costa Rican Wildlife from La Selva Biological Station December 7, 2013
- Pictures of My 2013 – 24 Captures from All Over December 31, 2013
- Lankester Botanical Garden – #EcoCostaRica January 8, 2014
- Ecotourism Costa Rica – The Impacts on Three Guides February 11, 2014
- The Supernova of 1054 – My Shot of the Day – March 5, 2014 March 5, 2014
- Costa Rica Foods – El Mirador Sitios Angustura February 25, 2014
- Dust Storm Hits Chaco Canyon Park – My Shot of the Day – Feb 21, 2014 February 21, 2014
- That DNA Clovis Story? It Doesn’t Mean What They Say It Means February 18, 2014
- Top Bloggers Talk Sustainable Travel: […] Diversity can survive and thrive in the ...
- Cathy Strisik: Well, there is so much evidence about pesticides c...
- Jim O\'Donnell: Motte Thomas - I agree!...
- Jim O\'Donnell: Dena Hunt - I agree. And I love going up top too....
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2014 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.