Yarrow Mamout, a devout Muslim, had a hauling business through the 1790’s. By 1800 he had earned enough to buy a house in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington DC. From the get-go, African Americans have been a vital part of the life and growth of the nation’s capital. When Mamout bought his house in 1800 [...]
Archive | Washington, DC RSS feed for this section
Memorial Day flags. Washington. DC. For those who died in needless, wasteful wars. The sorrow inexplicable. ##
I love this stuff. Dan Bailey, the Director of the Imaging Research Center (IRC) at the University of Maryland in Baltimore County, put together this fabulous little film as part of his four year research into Washington DC history. Very few accurate visual records from that time exist It so Bailey worked with historians, engineers, cartographers, and [...]
This group of gentlemen departed the White House five minutes before this shot. I followed them because they were so interesting.
“A Child’s Washington Monument”
Location Location Location For me, there is nothing worse than wasting time going to or from the airport, standing in line to rent a car, changing planes, waiting for a taxi…if I can avoid these things (and I know I can’t always), I will. Because I prefer to know a place (be it urban or [...]
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Kvarken Project: VOTE for the Photograph You Want & See the Faces of the People I Met September 4, 2014
- Twenty-One Beautiful Birds of Costa Rica – More Birdgasm! July 24, 2014
- Helsinki at Night – My Shot(s) of the Day – August 5, 2014 August 5, 2014
- Fried Muikku!! – My Shot(s) of the Day – August 11, 2014 August 11, 2014
- Roma Man in the Slovakian Countryside – My Shot of the Day, October 12, 2014 October 12, 2014
- Up Slovakia’s Wild Koprovsky Dolina October 8, 2014
- Register and Win! International Expeditions Announces Travel to Cuba September 29, 2014
- My European Wilderness Trip September 28, 2014
- Jim O\'Donnell: I need to come back now and see this new mess that...
- Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler: Hope you enjoyed it! Such a shame we could not mee...
- Roma Man in the Slovakian Countryside - My Shot of the Day, October 12, 2014: […] clouds rolled back over the mountains an...
- Jim O\'Donnell: Thank you Julia. Still much more to come....
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2014 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.