Yarrow Mamout, a devout Muslim, had a hauling business through the 1790’s. By 1800 he had earned enough to buy a house in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington DC. From the get-go, African Americans have been a vital part of the life and growth of the nation’s capital. When Mamout bought his house in 1800 [...]
Archive | Washington, DC RSS feed for this section
Memorial Day flags. Washington. DC. For those who died in needless, wasteful wars. The sorrow inexplicable. ##
I love this stuff. Dan Bailey, the Director of the Imaging Research Center (IRC) at the University of Maryland in Baltimore County, put together this fabulous little film as part of his four year research into Washington DC history. Very few accurate visual records from that time exist It so Bailey worked with historians, engineers, cartographers, and [...]
This group of gentlemen departed the White House five minutes before this shot. I followed them because they were so interesting.
“A Child’s Washington Monument”
Location Location Location For me, there is nothing worse than wasting time going to or from the airport, standing in line to rent a car, changing planes, waiting for a taxi…if I can avoid these things (and I know I can’t always), I will. Because I prefer to know a place (be it urban or [...]
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Ecotourism Costa Rica – The Impacts on Three Guides February 11, 2014
- Costa Rica Foods – El Mirador Sitios Angustura February 25, 2014
- Golden Hour Photography – How You Can Use Light to Capture Emotion January 27, 2014
- A City in the Jungle – El Guayabo National Monument – #ecocostarica January 21, 2014
- To Get To The Cloud Forest – #EcoCostaRica April 11, 2014
- Jim O’Donnell Photography- The Brand New Website is LIVE! April 10, 2014
- Native American Petroglyphs in the Rio Grande Gorge – My Shot of the Day April 7, 2014 April 7, 2014
- The Panamonte Inn of Boquete, Panama – A Review March 20, 2014
- Jim O\'Donnell: Geissel V. Madrigal Creo que tienes toda la razon ...
- Jim O\'Donnell: This still makes me feel good!...
- Charli | Wanderlusters: Jim, your wildlife photography never ceases to ins...
- Kite Erasito: Breadfruit - tree the Decade...
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2014 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.