Yarrow Mamout, a devout Muslim, had a hauling business through the 1790’s. By 1800 he had earned enough to buy a house in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington DC. From the get-go, African Americans have been a vital part of the life and growth of the nation’s capital. When Mamout bought his house in 1800 [...]
Archive | Washington, DC RSS feed for this section
Memorial Day flags. Washington. DC. For those who died in needless, wasteful wars. The sorrow inexplicable. ##
I love this stuff. Dan Bailey, the Director of the Imaging Research Center (IRC) at the University of Maryland in Baltimore County, put together this fabulous little film as part of his four year research into Washington DC history. Very few accurate visual records from that time exist It so Bailey worked with historians, engineers, cartographers, and [...]
This group of gentlemen departed the White House five minutes before this shot. I followed them because they were so interesting.
“A Child’s Washington Monument”
Location Location Location For me, there is nothing worse than wasting time going to or from the airport, standing in line to rent a car, changing planes, waiting for a taxi…if I can avoid these things (and I know I can’t always), I will. Because I prefer to know a place (be it urban or [...]
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Great Sand Dunes in Colorado – My Shot of the Day – June 17, 2014 June 17, 2014
- My Shot(s) of the Day – Taos Lightning – July 2, 2014 July 2, 2014
- Twenty-One Beautiful Birds of Costa Rica – More Birdgasm! July 24, 2014
- Helsinki at Night – My Shot(s) of the Day – August 5, 2014 August 5, 2014
- A Finnish Photographer – My Shot of the Day – Aug 20, 2014 August 20, 2014
- The Bodvattnet at Bodback – Kvarken World Heritage Site August 18, 2014
- Norra Kvarken Sunset – My Shot of the Day – August 12, 2014 August 12, 2014
- Fried Muikku!! – My Shot(s) of the Day – August 11, 2014 August 11, 2014
- Agness: I eat Indian food here in Amsterdam from time to t...
- Jim O\'Donnell: It ended happily Jess.....with me driving away!...
- Jim O\'Donnell: She might have thought....who is that CREEP!!? ...
- Steve Parsons: Thanks for the info, Jim, we really appreciate it!...
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2014 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.