Yarrow Mamout, a devout Muslim, had a hauling business through the 1790’s. By 1800 he had earned enough to buy a house in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington DC. From the get-go, African Americans have been a vital part of the life and growth of the nation’s capital. When Mamout bought his house in 1800 [...]
Archive | Washington, DC RSS feed for this section
Memorial Day flags. Washington. DC. For those who died in needless, wasteful wars. The sorrow inexplicable. ##
I love this stuff. Dan Bailey, the Director of the Imaging Research Center (IRC) at the University of Maryland in Baltimore County, put together this fabulous little film as part of his four year research into Washington DC history. Very few accurate visual records from that time exist It so Bailey worked with historians, engineers, cartographers, and [...]
This group of gentlemen departed the White House five minutes before this shot. I followed them because they were so interesting.
“A Child’s Washington Monument”
Location Location Location For me, there is nothing worse than wasting time going to or from the airport, standing in line to rent a car, changing planes, waiting for a taxi…if I can avoid these things (and I know I can’t always), I will. Because I prefer to know a place (be it urban or [...]
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- A Taste of Costa Rican Wildlife from La Selva Biological Station December 7, 2013
- Pictures of My 2013 – 24 Captures from All Over December 31, 2013
- Lankester Botanical Garden – #EcoCostaRica January 8, 2014
- Ecotourism Costa Rica – The Impacts on Three Guides February 11, 2014
- The Supernova of 1054 – My Shot of the Day – March 5, 2014 March 5, 2014
- Costa Rica Foods – El Mirador Sitios Angustura February 25, 2014
- Dust Storm Hits Chaco Canyon Park – My Shot of the Day – Feb 21, 2014 February 21, 2014
- That DNA Clovis Story? It Doesn’t Mean What They Say It Means February 18, 2014
- Jenni: Thank you for this info, I was trying to figure ou...
- Raphael Alexander Zoren: Very good article! I agree with everything on it, ...
- Top Bloggers Talk Sustainable Travel: […] Diversity can survive and thrive in the ...
- Cathy Strisik: Well, there is so much evidence about pesticides c...
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2014 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.