The first pictures from above the Earth come in the form of a drawing. From the Astra Castra, about 4,000 feet above the River Dee, Thomas Baldwin drew rainy cumlo-nimbus clouds below, roads curving through fields, grids of villages and the river, red perhaps from erosional silt. Airopaidia, published in 1786 is Baldwin’s extremely detailed [...]
Tag Archives | balloon
I shot this balloon eclipse from the cliff overhanging the John Dunn Bridge and the Rio Grande, 700 feet below. It is an iphone shot and while I love this image I’m not terribly happy with the quality. I allowed myself to get caught in the middle of a lens change on my Nikon [...]
Classic New Mexico. Although I was born and raised in Colorado – FOURTH Generation – I have this incredibly painful love affair with New Mexico. And she is not kind. Land of Enchantment? Try Land of Entrapment. New Mexico is the kind of place that grabs your soul and never lets go. Here is [...]
Today delivered a fine surprise. On a calm, clear morning just after the crack of dawn, I was unexpectedly dumped into a large hot air balloon basket and flown 1700 feet over the Taos Plateau in northern New Mexico, down into the Rio Grande Gorge and back up and over the Mesa. It was a very cool [...]
Taos Mountain Balloon Fiesta . Taos, New Mexico
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Twenty-One Beautiful Birds of Panama – Birdgasm! March 12, 2013
- Spring Rainstorm Pictures – My Shot of the Day – April 1, 2013 April 1, 2013
- Seeking Some Sassy Ceviche at the Fish Market in Panama City February 26, 2013
- Arabian Sea Sunset April 23, 2013
- Balloon Rides and Taos Mesa from Above May 17, 2013
- Evening Rain on the Colombine Hondo Wilderness Study Area – My Shot of the Day – May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013
- Spring in Taos New Mexico – My Shot(S) of the Day – May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013
- Ute Mountain, County of Taos – My Shot of the Day – May 9, 2013 May 9, 2013
- Jim O\'Donnell: Cold spot!...
- Jim O\'Donnell: We need more of the wet stuff!...
- Anne Taylor: Love the pics, especially the toy trucks bigger th...
- Steve Collins: Beautiful! This looks like a painting....
Around the World in Eighty Years on Twitter
Follow @jimodonnell2 on Twitter
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2013 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.