Another addition to my list of Old Catholic churches. This is San Isadore Church in Las Mesitas, Colorado, destroyed by fire in 1975. The day after the kids and I rode the Cumbres-Toltec Railroad with my dad and his wife (photos from that trip this week) we drove up back the Conejos River to take [...]
Tag Archives | church
I don’t like it much when a vulture stares at me at the entrance to a church. I don’t like it much either when three crows are sitting, all consubstantially trinity-like, on the Catholic’s cross at the narthex. Yes, that’s right, the entrance to a Catholic church is called the narthex. And no, I’m not suspicious. ~ ~ [...]
She said: “Ito and Roni are brothers. And since he was born…since Ito was very young…the Virgin comes to him. We call this ‘vidente‘. The Virgin used to talk to him in the trees. His madre thought he was sick with fever.” The road to the spring took off from the highway west and just [...]
The monsoon dresses New Mexico by mid-July every year. Here, the mission church at San Ildefonso Pueblo catches the waning late-morning sunshine of a monsoon afternoon. It didn’t take long for the dark, wet clouds behind the structure to move down the Rio Grande Valley and envelope the village in a wonderful, cool, soaking rain. [...]
Moonrise over Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in Taos, New Mexico. Thursday, May 3, 2012. ISO 100, f/18, 1/20s with a Nikkor 55-300mm lens. On Nov. 18, 1801 in Durango, Bishop Olivares granted permission to the community of Taos to build a church. The adobe structure was completed in 1802. In 1833 Bishop Zubiria, of [...]
It seems odd from here at Lady of Lourdes I attended Mass for the first time in 25 years. I must have gotten caught up in all the excitement of a service at Lady of Lourdes. Or, maybe it was that I drank the delicious water from the grotto. Or maybe it was that fat [...]
Of course the Portuguese had gotten all out of control. Timayya had done his work well and the Bijapur kings were out of the way. Goa belonged to Portugal and everyone was rich from slaving and spices. Other than to wait for next year’s spice fleet, there was not much to do beyond bearing the [...]
Jesus Saves in Aztec, New Mexico.
Christmas Eve at Taos Pueblo
san francisco de asis church
## Silde Show: San Francisco de Asis Church – Taos New Mexico
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Should Foreigners Pay More? Damn Straight. September 19, 2013
- On The River Arno – Florence – My Shot of the Day, September 28, 2013 September 28, 2013
- “No. No. You May Not Have an Americano” – My Shot of the Day – October 5, 2013 October 5, 2013
- Larciano Castello – My Shot of the Day – October 9, 2013 October 9, 2013
- Taos Mountain, New Mexico – My Shot of the Day – November 23, 2013 November 23, 2013
- I’m Off to Costa Rica in Two Weeks! November 20, 2013
- Five Barcelona Museums Not to be Missed November 18, 2013
- Big Horn Sheep Ram – My Shot of the Day – November 18, 2013 November 18, 2013
- budget jan: Great Photo. Excellent Bio....
- Jesh Stg: They are like sign posts! I've seen them in J...
- Jesh Stg: Looks severe! Keep warm:)...
- Jim O\'Donnell: OH...now I see you said DE saturated. Hahahaha. ...
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2013 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.