My shot for today is actually a year old. One year old exactly in fact. These Whooper swans passed over the kids and I on March 5, 2012 while we played on the ice in the Gulf of Bothnia next to Vasa, Finland. The Whooper swans (the national bird of Finland) were heading north into [...]
Tag Archives | ice
From the ancient stone villages and fortified chateaux of the Knights Templar dotting the foothills that turn to the great wine plains of the Gare, Garrone and to Aquitaine it looks like a lonely outpost of bristling towers and domes on an iced-over alien planet. It appears impossible to reach. Its residents look to the [...]
Here is the last shot from my five weeks in Finland and France. From here on out I will get back to my goal of posting the photo on the day I took it. I spent most of my final day (was that really just the day before yesterday?) on the train from Helsinki to [...]
Ok. This wasn’t today. It was last week. But I loved this place. It was stunning and I wanted to share this photo. The Gavarnie Cirque is a glacier carved amphitheater-shaped valley located in the central Pyrenees. This is a massive chunk of rock. The cirque is a stunning 800 meters wide at the bottom and 3000 [...]
Pic du Midi France , Hautes-Pyrénées. I’m in the little village of Bagnères-de-Bigorre right at the base of the mountains. Spring time, flowers popping out everywhere! ##
Morning train south from Vasa. The air is bright and blue and clean. Talitiainen, the Great Tit, sings its squeaky wheelbarrow song. Trumpeter swans bark overhead. The first day of spring (my lovely daughter’s birthday…on the plane home this morning) but the fields are all covered in snow, the hillocks of forest are grey and [...]
Ice Fishing. The Perfect Shot. It wasn’t the first train of the day but I was on my way from Helsinki to Vasa by 9am yesterday. The journey takes about five hours and is about as comfortable as you can imagine. The Intercity coaches all sport wireless connection the whole way, the seats recline [...]
Helsinki The skyline of Helsinki Finland and the Baltic Sea beyond on March 12, 2012. Taken from the Atelje Bar on top of Hotel Torni just after sunset. ISO 100, f/7.1, 4.0s I spent the day recovering from the last few weeks of the crazy. I took a long walk, visited the old neighborhood, went [...]
Tonight I set out to capture the Aurora Borealis from the coast near the Mehlahti section of Helsinki Finland – but that didn’t work out so well. A brief snowstorm appeared from some thick, pink clouds and my exhausted, jet-lagged brain just gave up. As I trudged back to my friend Rasmus’ flat I saw [...]
There is plenty of light but not exactly sun here in early spring. The wind is howling off the Gulf of Bothnia stirring up the snow and cutting visibility. All the bulldozers, bobcats and dump trucks are working around the clock to clear the grey, dog-pooped filled ice from the roads and sidewalks. Photo : [...]
In Moby Dick, Melville told us about the “Norway maelstrom”. Well, this is it. For over two-thousand years this amazing place has gripped the northern mind. Located at the base of the 250 million year old Caledonian Fold Belt Mountains you can find the Saltstarumen in Norland, about 30km southeast of the small city of [...]
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Pictures of My 2013 – 24 Captures from All Over December 31, 2013
- Lankester Botanical Garden – #EcoCostaRica January 8, 2014
- Ecotourism Costa Rica – The Impacts on Three Guides February 11, 2014
- Golden Hour Photography – How You Can Use Light to Capture Emotion January 27, 2014
- The Panamonte Inn of Boquete, Panama – A Review March 20, 2014
- The Supernova of 1054 – My Shot of the Day – March 5, 2014 March 5, 2014
- Costa Rica Foods – El Mirador Sitios Angustura February 25, 2014
- Dust Storm Hits Chaco Canyon Park – My Shot of the Day – Feb 21, 2014 February 21, 2014
- Linda Bibb: We've enjoyed dining at the Panamonte on more...
- The Panamonte Inn of Boquete, Panama - A ReviewAround the World in Eighty Years: […] The inn is surrounded and draped in doze...
- Jim O\'Donnell: Cynthia Sue McCann - Oh yeah...I forgot about Hors...
- Cynthia Sue McCann: Hey Jim....could there have been fish in Horseshoe...
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2014 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.