Ten minutes across some pretty rough waters from the Panamanian village of La Guaira, we found ourselves kindly deposited on the Caribbean island of Isla Grande. The boat pilot didn’t want to take on the larger waves near the reef to the northwest and so we had to walk the ten minutes along the rim [...]
Tag Archives | islands
At the top of the island of Isla Grande Colon the French built a lighthouse in 1893. De Lesseps meant the lighthouse to be one of the guiding markers to help ships find the canal and his partner Gustave Eiffel designed the origional lamp for the structure. Now it is a rusting hulk full of [...]
The irritating little Spaniard followed me onto the traghetto near dawn and we crossed the Grand Canal to the markets at Rialto. “I’m like your codega, amigo!” He told me again. “You know, I really don’t want you following me around again today.” In Venice Italy the codega was a professional guide, an escort, protector, guide [...]
Cuba is a gorgeous island in the northern Caribbean Sea where the Gulf of Mexico meets the Atlantic Ocean. If you’ve booked holidays to Cuba and are flying into José Martí International Airport outside Havana, one of the most important things to pack is your camera, and one of the best ways to get to [...]
Helsinki The skyline of Helsinki Finland and the Baltic Sea beyond on March 12, 2012. Taken from the Atelje Bar on top of Hotel Torni just after sunset. ISO 100, f/7.1, 4.0s I spent the day recovering from the last few weeks of the crazy. I took a long walk, visited the old neighborhood, went [...]
The m/s Tiira leaves several times a day from the dock in Vasa. The small tour boat holds about thirty and most tend to be Finns. There are the older women’s groups on their weekly excursion, the small families out to see a few birds, a romantic couple or two and, of course, those looking [...]
The top image is from Ouanga Bay, Haiti showing fishermen heading out at dusk. I circled the camera lense with a napkin. The lower image is from a fish store in Bodo, Norway and is of a very large, dried fish-head in a glass counter.
My final days in Finland for this year. I’ve spent time with great friends and met some new, wonderful people. And I’ve seen even more of this great place. I cant wait to come back.
Suomen Suvi – Sweet Summer in Finland
I walk the rooms of the flat in the depth of night when a soft breeze spreads the curtains over the kitchen table and around the edge of the cheap blue couches. But it is not so deep. The light is pink and soft. There is a midnight plant that smells like a clean laundry detergent and its [...]
One of the many lakes of Finland
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Should Foreigners Pay More? Damn Straight. September 19, 2013
- On The River Arno – Florence – My Shot of the Day, September 28, 2013 September 28, 2013
- “No. No. You May Not Have an Americano” – My Shot of the Day – October 5, 2013 October 5, 2013
- Larciano Castello – My Shot of the Day – October 9, 2013 October 9, 2013
- Taos Mountain, New Mexico – My Shot of the Day – November 23, 2013 November 23, 2013
- I’m Off to Costa Rica in Two Weeks! November 20, 2013
- Five Barcelona Museums Not to be Missed November 18, 2013
- Big Horn Sheep Ram – My Shot of the Day – November 18, 2013 November 18, 2013
- Cheryl Bleick: Dinty Less ...
- Diane Rodriguez: Beautiful Shots....
- Jim O\'Donnell: Daniela Klein Very true. Toasty!...
- Jim O\'Donnell: John Colby Bartlett Home made my man! ...
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2013 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.