Snow in New Mexico is vital for both people and the environment. Spring is soon on its way and overall, we are way low as far as the snow we need. Still, the last week saw several snow storms come through, dumping some much-needed moisture on our overly dry mountains. These are the times of crisp, [...]
Tag Archives | snow
Yesterday I was up in Taos Ski Valley with the kids. We were tubing with my daughter’s school. It was incredibly fun. My little boy, watching the skiers on the slopes around us asked if he could learn how. “Oh no,” was my first thought. I grew up in Colorado and skiing was always part [...]
Its cloudy and -7 Celcius here in Taos, New Mexico as I write this with five inches of fresh snow on the ground. Snow in Taos is most welcome. Over the past few months we’ve hardly seen a cloud. Skin has been so dry it itches. The air has been full of dust. Its been [...]
From the ancient stone villages and fortified chateaux of the Knights Templar dotting the foothills that turn to the great wine plains of the Gare, Garrone and to Aquitaine it looks like a lonely outpost of bristling towers and domes on an iced-over alien planet. It appears impossible to reach. Its residents look to the [...]
Here is the last shot from my five weeks in Finland and France. From here on out I will get back to my goal of posting the photo on the day I took it. I spent most of my final day (was that really just the day before yesterday?) on the train from Helsinki to [...]
Ok. This wasn’t today. It was last week. But I loved this place. It was stunning and I wanted to share this photo. The Gavarnie Cirque is a glacier carved amphitheater-shaped valley located in the central Pyrenees. This is a massive chunk of rock. The cirque is a stunning 800 meters wide at the bottom and 3000 [...]
Pic du Midi France , Hautes-Pyrénées. I’m in the little village of Bagnères-de-Bigorre right at the base of the mountains. Spring time, flowers popping out everywhere! ##
Morning train south from Vasa. The air is bright and blue and clean. Talitiainen, the Great Tit, sings its squeaky wheelbarrow song. Trumpeter swans bark overhead. The first day of spring (my lovely daughter’s birthday…on the plane home this morning) but the fields are all covered in snow, the hillocks of forest are grey and [...]
Ice Fishing. The Perfect Shot. It wasn’t the first train of the day but I was on my way from Helsinki to Vasa by 9am yesterday. The journey takes about five hours and is about as comfortable as you can imagine. The Intercity coaches all sport wireless connection the whole way, the seats recline [...]
There is plenty of light but not exactly sun here in early spring. The wind is howling off the Gulf of Bothnia stirring up the snow and cutting visibility. All the bulldozers, bobcats and dump trucks are working around the clock to clear the grey, dog-pooped filled ice from the roads and sidewalks. Photo : [...]
If I’ve learned anything about myself in 41 years of living it is this: I am, as my friend Victoria says, the “nomad-wanderer-gypsy-rambler-forever-traveler…..” It is just me. It always has been and it always will be. I don’t typically get all mushy and philosophical before a trip. Sure, I follow Turgenev’s advice and sit for [...]
Tusas Mountains west of Taos, New Mexico.
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Kvarken Project: VOTE for the Photograph You Want & See the Faces of the People I Met September 4, 2014
- Twenty-One Beautiful Birds of Costa Rica – More Birdgasm! July 24, 2014
- Helsinki at Night – My Shot(s) of the Day – August 5, 2014 August 5, 2014
- Fried Muikku!! – My Shot(s) of the Day – August 11, 2014 August 11, 2014
- Roma Man in the Slovakian Countryside – My Shot of the Day, October 12, 2014 October 12, 2014
- Up Slovakia’s Wild Koprovsky Dolina October 8, 2014
- Register and Win! International Expeditions Announces Travel to Cuba September 29, 2014
- My European Wilderness Trip September 28, 2014
- Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler: Hope you enjoyed it! Such a shame we could not mee...
- Roma Man in the Slovakian Countryside - My Shot of the Day, October 12, 2014: […] clouds rolled back over the mountains an...
- Jim O\'Donnell: Thank you Julia. Still much more to come....
- Jim O\'Donnell: Thank you so much Cynthia!...
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2014 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.