It is more than a little difficult to imagine that dirty, bloodied violent armies slugged it out back and forth over those green and golden rolling hills for centuries. It wasn’t always that way. The Romans established a villa on that hilltop in the 4th century BCE and called it “Villa Larziana”, the name coming [...]
Tag Archives | sunset
It is one of my favorite places in New Mexico. White Sands National Monument. I was out taking shots of the sunset over the Tularosa Basin and the Jornada del Muerto and the amazing light spreading across the gypsum fields that spread over nearly 300 square miles of the desert. This is the world’s largest [...]
An evening rain storm soaks the valleys on the west face of the Colombine Hondo Wilderness Study Area just a few miles northeast of Taos right after sunset. A slew of other shots of the Colombine Hondo can be found here. What else is there to say? ##
Last night I was going back through all the amazing photographs I took while in India last year and wondering…what should I do with them? This one stood out. At least tonight it did, when I’m having that very strong urge to travel again. I was camped up under a huge mass of reeds just [...]
So I’m standing in a field just north of Taos, New Mexico taking my umpteenth sunset shot and I finally get to wondering – beyond the smoke or dust in the air, what is it that causes these red sunsets? What makes a sunset? A little online reading and I come up with the simple [...]
When I posted this sunset shot to Facebook last night my friend and fellow photographer Geraint wrote “Biblical, dude!” I agree. With the light streaming down out of the clouds there was something about Heaven Beacons to the whole thing. Just to the north of the sunset was this giant Cumulonimbus in the shot below. A sign [...]
Summer solstice 2012 finds the West on fire. Smoke-filled summer days have become the new normal. If it isn’t Arizona burning it’s Colorado burning. Or it’s New Mexico burning. My nose is full in the morning and my throat hoarse all day. The multi layers of brown in the air don’t really go away – [...]
Denver International Airport last night. I made it – not far from my home town of Pueblo where I left my kiddos with the grandparents so that I could go to the TBEX conference in Keystone. But it means that today, Saturday, I can get up at the crack of butt and be there in [...]
Solar eclipse 2012 , May 20, from Taos, New Mexico, USA ##
I walked the hill to the fort above the Goa Resort and the Russians didn’t like it. “It is too hot. Get on.” Scooter after scooter passed me, stopped, waited for me to reach them then offered me a ride. It was very kind but, “I’d really like to walk.” “You will die.” “I won’t [...]
If I’ve learned anything about myself in 41 years of living it is this: I am, as my friend Victoria says, the “nomad-wanderer-gypsy-rambler-forever-traveler…..” It is just me. It always has been and it always will be. I don’t typically get all mushy and philosophical before a trip. Sure, I follow Turgenev’s advice and sit for [...]
Women of Goa. Evening on the Arabian Sea coast south of Panaji. Goa. India.
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Lankester Botanical Garden – #EcoCostaRica January 8, 2014
- Ecotourism Costa Rica – The Impacts on Three Guides February 11, 2014
- Costa Rica Foods – El Mirador Sitios Angustura February 25, 2014
- Golden Hour Photography – How You Can Use Light to Capture Emotion January 27, 2014
- To Get To The Cloud Forest – #EcoCostaRica April 11, 2014
- Jim O’Donnell Photography- The Brand New Website is LIVE! April 10, 2014
- Native American Petroglyphs in the Rio Grande Gorge – My Shot of the Day April 7, 2014 April 7, 2014
- The Panamonte Inn of Boquete, Panama – A Review March 20, 2014
- latin: so do costa rica. Costa rica say they have also m...
- Jim O\'Donnell: Thank you and thank you also for the support you...
- Jim O\'Donnell: Thank you so much CheyAnne! That means ALOT comin...
- Jim O\'Donnell: VadoVia yes indeed! What photo are you thinking o...
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2014 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.