The Finnish name Mustasaari literally translated means “black island” but as an ancient word Mustasaari holds more meaning that just the literal translation. Since the glaciers rolled away some 9,000 or so years ago, the Norra Kvarken has been rising out of the sea. A rebounding of sorts. The weight of millenia of mile-high masses [...]
Tag Archives | sunset
Last night, Taos and surrounding areas were hit with a pretty intense storm between about 830pm and 1030pm. It was a fabulous night for Taos lightning shots but I have to admit I was bothered just a bit that my 10-year old daughter was out in that storm without me! She and her nature camp [...]
It is more than a little difficult to imagine that dirty, bloodied violent armies slugged it out back and forth over those green and golden rolling hills for centuries. It wasn’t always that way. The Romans established a villa on that hilltop in the 4th century BCE and called it “Villa Larziana”, the name coming [...]
It is one of my favorite places in New Mexico. White Sands National Monument. I was out taking shots of the sunset over the Tularosa Basin and the Jornada del Muerto and the amazing light spreading across the gypsum fields that spread over nearly 300 square miles of the desert. This is the world’s largest [...]
An evening rain storm soaks the valleys on the west face of the Columbine Hondo Wilderness Study Area just a few miles northeast of Taos right after sunset. A slew of other shots of the Columbine Hondo can be found here. What else is there to say? ##
Last night I was going back through all the amazing photographs I took while in India last year and wondering…what should I do with them? This one stood out. At least tonight it did, when I’m having that very strong urge to travel again. I was camped up under a huge mass of reeds just [...]
So I’m standing in a field just north of Taos, New Mexico taking my umpteenth sunset shot and I finally get to wondering – beyond the smoke or dust in the air, what is it that causes these red sunsets? What makes a sunset? A little online reading and I come up with the simple [...]
When I posted this sunset shot to Facebook last night my friend and fellow photographer Geraint wrote “Biblical, dude!” I agree. With the light streaming down out of the clouds there was something about Heaven Beacons to the whole thing. Just to the north of the sunset was this giant Cumulonimbus in the shot below. A sign [...]
Summer solstice 2012 finds the West on fire. Smoke-filled summer days have become the new normal. If it isn’t Arizona burning it’s Colorado burning. Or it’s New Mexico burning. My nose is full in the morning and my throat hoarse all day. The multi layers of brown in the air don’t really go away – [...]
Denver International Airport last night. I made it – not far from my home town of Pueblo where I left my kiddos with the grandparents so that I could go to the TBEX conference in Keystone. But it means that today, Saturday, I can get up at the crack of butt and be there in [...]
Solar eclipse 2012 , May 20, from Taos, New Mexico, USA ##
I walked the hill to the fort above the Goa Resort and the Russians didn’t like it. “It is too hot. Get on.” Scooter after scooter passed me, stopped, waited for me to reach them then offered me a ride. It was very kind but, “I’d really like to walk.” “You will die.” “I won’t [...]
Please Consider Supporting This Website
Purchase Fine Art Prints and Books by Jim O’Donnell
- Kvarken Project: VOTE for the Photograph You Want & See the Faces of the People I Met September 4, 2014
- Twenty-One Beautiful Birds of Costa Rica – More Birdgasm! July 24, 2014
- Helsinki at Night – My Shot(s) of the Day – August 5, 2014 August 5, 2014
- Fried Muikku!! – My Shot(s) of the Day – August 11, 2014 August 11, 2014
- Roma Man in the Slovakian Countryside – My Shot of the Day, October 12, 2014 October 12, 2014
- Up Slovakia’s Wild Koprovsky Dolina October 8, 2014
- Register and Win! International Expeditions Announces Travel to Cuba September 29, 2014
- My European Wilderness Trip September 28, 2014
- Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler: Hope you enjoyed it! Such a shame we could not mee...
- Roma Man in the Slovakian Countryside - My Shot of the Day, October 12, 2014: […] clouds rolled back over the mountains an...
- Jim O\'Donnell: Thank you Julia. Still much more to come....
- Jim O\'Donnell: Thank you so much Cynthia!...
All images and stories are Copyright © Jim O'Donnell 1995-2013
© 2014 Around the World in Eighty Years. All Rights Reserved.