In 2017, 1.32 billion international travellers took to the skies to broaden their horizons.…
Rugby is a game that originated in England in the 19th century. It is played in many parts of the world. The national rugby league (NRL) is a domestic rugby club in Australia. The game is watched by many in Australia, and the audience is so dedicated they take it as a competition among themselves. NRL betting & tipping are popular activities.
In this article we’ll be covering the history and the most popular teams involved in one of Australia’s most popular sports.
The national rugby league began more than a 100 years ago and it’s one of Australia’s most prestigious domestic sports organisations.
Here’s a list of significant historical events
- 1907 NSW Rugby League formed.
- 1920 First edition of The Rugby League News published.
- 1922 First QLD win over NSW.
- 1924 First radio broadcast of Rugby League.
- 1957 Australia hosts the Rugby League World Cup for the first time.
- 1961 Rugby League’s first televised game, (Balmain v Norths) NO 1957 (Bal v CB). First Rugby League Sevens tournament played.
- 1980 First State of Origin game played at Lang Park. QLD wins 20-10.
- 1988 Rugby League leaves the SCG for the Sydney Football Stadium.
- 1990 Salary cap is introduced by NSWRL.
- 1998 National Rugby League formed.
- 2005 The NRL record the codes highest ever crowd average for a regular season with on average 16,468 attending each game that season.
- 2017 Australia wins both men’s and women’s RLWC titles after a stellar tournament hosted across Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.
The NRL season normally goes from March to October every year and games are normally held in many locations of Australia and New Zealand.
There are a series of games held that culminates into the NRL grand finale, the top match that decides the premier members. These premiers get to play the World Club Challenge, a pre-match against the European Super League.
The season structure of the NRL includes the following:
It is a set of matches that happen before the start of the season, it normally starts in February and ends in early March. During this time, the clubs organise trial matches and indulge in combinations between the teams. It will give a head start to the players and a better form and exposure before the main match.
It is a winter sport in Australasia, which begins in the early days of March and extends for about 25 weeks till September. The matches are held from Thursdays to Sundays, and they also consist of special themed weeks. The teams are ranked according to their points, and those with the highest rank will be the minor premiers.
NRL grand final, at the Sydney’s Stadium of Australia. It is one of the largest sporting events and also the most attended events in the world. The winners of the grand finale will be awarded the premiership rings.
The NRL consists of sixteen clubs. Eight of the teams are from Greater Sydney, and two are from New South Wales; Queensland is home to three and the Australian Capital Territory, Victorias, and New Zealand contribute one each.